Sustainable Land Use Research Initiative
- a national government-funded research programme for maintaining and managing our soilsSLURI is a collaborative research programme that:
- conducts research on the sustainable management and use of soil resources
- develops new tools for regulators and land managers
- works with key stakeholders and other research organisations.
- soil quality and management support our productive industries – 17% of New Zealand’s GDP depends on the top 15 cm of our soil
- soil is at the heart of New Zealand’s clean green image – it underpins how the world views us and how we view ourselves
- failure to sustain our soil and water resources will put $2.16 billion of our total GDP at risk
- we need to assess and predict the effects of changes in land use on soil quality.